The internet is overloaded with a variety of great facts and fascinating news. However, you will hardly find a user who really needs all the information websites publish. That’s why the tips on how to block a website on Chrome might come in handy. Indeed, you can control the information your browser offers you to view. If you want to prevent a certain website from being available while browsing the web, you can use our directions. Blocking websites on Chrome is easier than you might think. All you need to do is to look through our guidelines and repeat everything on your device.
How to Block Sites on Chrome with the Help of Chrome Safe Search?
This is the only built-in method that allows you to control what particular websites you can view in your browser. The Safe Search tool allows you to restrict access to some content through a web search. However, this method doesn’t offer the ability to block specific sites. With the help of this method, you can block adult content. Here’re the directions that you need to follow:
- Launch Chrome.
- Open Google.
- In the bottom right corner, you can find the “Settings menu”. Click on it and choose “Search Settings”.
- Activate the option “Turn on SafeSearch”.
Thanks to this method, you can easily filter Google Web Search results.
How Do I Block a Website Using the Hosts file?
This method works for Mac, Windows and Linux-based devices. It is more time-consuming than the previous one, but it really works. Moreover, there’s no need to use third-party software.
First, let’s check how this method works on Windows:
- Open disk C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- Open the “Hosts” file using Notepad.
- You’ll see a variety of hash symbols. You need to scroll them down and delete all the symbols that are marked with the hash symbol.
- Now, type “127.0.0.1” and “localhost”.
- On the next line, you need to type the name of the website, which must be blocked. You can do the same with every website, which you wish to block.
If you want to repeat the same on Mac or Linux, you should keep in mind that in this case, you need to navigate to the “/etc” directory. In this case, you’ll open the “hosts” file.
Third-party Website Blockers
If the above-mentioned methods seem to be too complicated for you, it is time to use the benefits of third-party apps that allow you to do this in a few clicks. In this case, you can use the following websites:
- StayFocused – a powerful blocking extension for Google Chrome. With this tool, you can decide how long you can use this or that website. Simply put, it can restrict your online activity.
- Block Site. With the help of this tool, you can create a list of blocked sites.
- TinyFilter – another free add-on for Chrome that comes with many blocking features.
It is up to you to decide which method to use. Following our directions, you’ll easily tackle that challenge!