Having a ton of adverts popping up on your screen when you are simply trying to navigate the web can be an eyesore sometimes, this could be as a result of unscrupulous marketers or an indication of a malware problem on your device. Thankfully, there are a couple of handy tips on how to block ads on Chrome.
How to block ads in Chrome by updating your Google Chrome browser
Google Chrome browser is used by a ton of web users to browse and so there is a need to deliver quality user experience, one of its many key features is that Chrome has an open-source code that is compatible with a wide array of pop up blockers. Having this in mind, before listing the top steps to follow to be able to remove ads from Chrome, it is most advisable to check and ensure that your Google Chrome browser is up to date, as Chrome 73 shuts down pop-ups, which were originally tied to older versions. These updates are usually done automatically but in the event, this doesn’t happen you can manually update with the following steps;
- From the Chrome menu bar check “Customise and control”;
- Scroll to down to select “Help’ and then click on “About Google Chrome” again;
- the version you are using will appear;
- if it is current it shows you nothing;
- But whereby it isn’t up to date, there is notification suggesting to update Chrome in “Customise and control” when you click it.
How to remove ads from Google Chrome
From the Chrome menu bar: Where an update does not sufficiently remove ads from Chrome you can proceed to try out the following methods on how to stop pop up ads on Google Chrome;
- From the Chrome menu (located at the upper right-hand side of your screen), select “settings”;
- Next, type in “Pop-ups”;
- Click on the “Content Settings” button and then click on the Pop-ups button.
- Paste the Pop-ups option to either block or delete ads.
From your Control Panel; another way to prevent pop up ads from occurring is by turning on your pop up blocker via your Control Panel to turn on your system pop up blocker:
- From the bottom left-hand corner of your computer, click on the “Start” button and then navigate to “Control Panel”.
- Double-click on the “Internet Options” icon. This will open a new window.
- Click on the “Privacy” tab;
- Make your selections by checking the box next to “Turn on Pop-up Blocker”.
- Set the Blocking Level to “High” using the drop-down menu below. This will enable the highest filter settings.
- Press “OK” to complete the action.
How to get rid of pop up ads on Chrome with Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is free to download anti-malware program that detects and remove viruses, Trojans, spyware and other malicious software that may be causing unwanted pop-ups ads to appear on your device. Apply the following steps when using Malwarebytes to get rid of pop up ads on Chrome:
- Close all programs on your computer before you open Malwarebytes;
- If it is your first time using the software a wizard should appear with a button that reads “Fix Now”;
- Click on the button;
- Another way is for you to click on the “Scan” tab;
- Then select “Threat Scan” by looking through the corresponding box;
- To start the scanning process, press the “Scan Now” button to complete scan;
- Once the scanning is completed a list of threats found will pop up;
- Next, search for the “Quarantine All” button and then click on;
- Then click on the “Apply Now” button;
- Once the quarantine process is complete restart your computer;
The free version of Malwarebytes is pretty accurate in most circumstances; however, the premium version offers more real-time scanning.
Scan for Malware using Chrome cleanup tool
Sometimes the pop-ups may be a result of malware and not as a result of the website you have visited, the originating problem is caused by annoying software affecting your device. You can use Google Chrome cleanup tools search to find and clean up unwanted software by running a full scan of your computer, advisably while it’s in Safe Mode.
For Windows users, you can install and use the Chrome Cleanup Tool to find and remove unwanted software and unexpected advertisements you can’t seem to remove. This tool enables your PC to perform a complete scan and likewise removes any software that may be causing pop up ads on your device. Once the infections and malicious programs have been removed using Chrome Cleanup Tool, you can try checking to monitor if any more adverts pop up frequently.
To clean up Malware generally you can apply the following steps for Windows PC:
- Open Chrome.
- At the top right-hand corner of your screen, look for “More Settings” and click on it;
- Scroll to the bottom and click on “Advanced”;
- From the “Reset and clean up,” dropbox click on “Clean up computer”;
- Then click on “Find” and Chrome will scan your computer for any unwanted software and offer to remove off your PC;
- Click on “Remove” to start to clean up.
Install an Ad-Blocking Extension to remove pop up ads on Chrome
Another way to remove pop up ads on Chrome is to install an ad blocking extension of your choice. You can install these extensions using the following steps:
- Open the Google Chrome browser;
- Go to the official Chrome web store to install extension;
- In the search box, type in “Ad Blocker” and press enter to display the list of ad-blocking items available for installation in Chrome;
- Scroll to the Extensions section and then click on the “More Extension” result link (each extension contains has a details page that provides key information on the item; features, download size, date of the last update and whether it is compatible with your version of Chrome);
- Once you have selected the as blocker you want, click on it to install;
- You can proceed to customize the ad blocker after it has been installed;
- To customize settings go through the extensions panel in Google Chrome;
- Click on the Chrome menu at the top right-hand corner of the browser window and then select “Settings” from the drop-down menu;
- To open the extension panel, click on the menu on the extension on the left-hand side of your;
- Navigate to the ad blocker you want to customize and click on the Options link.
- From the provided settings you can select the customizations that best suit your ad blocking needs. Each setting for customization varies depending on the ad blocking extension you are using. Most of the ad blockers will let you set whitelisted domains, for websites you want will still want to permit ads to be displayed.
The truth is, it’s almost impossible to get rid of all ads that pop up when you are using Chrome browser as there are some paid ads, however, I’m pretty sure that these tips on how to remove pop up ads in Google Chrome have largely filtered what pops up on your screen and helped you declutter.